Inferior Half of the Ligamentum Nuchae, Spinous Process of C7 – T3
Mastoid Process of the Temporal Bone, Lateral Third of the Superior Nuchal Line of the Occipital Bone
- Bilateral: Neck Extension
- Unilateral: Ipsilateral Lateral Flexion & Rotation
Dorsal Rami of C3 – C4
- I will begin at the External Occipital Protuberance (EOP) of the Occipital Bone.
- From here I will palpate inferiorly along the Ligamentum Nuchae, down to C7 and continuing inferiorly to the Spinous Processes of T1 – T3.
- This muscle helps extend and contralaterally rotate the head of the neck.
- I will ask my client to raise their head off the table so I can cross fiber its superiolateral fiber direction to the Mastoid Process of the Temporal Bone and moving slightly superiorly and medially to outline the Superior Nuchal Line.